Monday, February 24, 2014

A Trip to the 14th Century

Back in august of last year, I began attending events with my local SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)

For those of you who don't know, here's what Dictionary .com says anachronism is.

Something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, especially a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time.

So basically it's a bunch of people who feel stuck in the 21st century and prefer to live in the Middle Ages.

I've been slowly working on Garb (clothes) for the 14th century, which is the particular time period I've chosen for myself. (Think William Wallace and Robert Bruce)

One of the Lovely Ladies from the SCA helped me get started. I brought along around four yards of gorgeous red linen and she provided a pattern for a Cotehardie. I'm afraid we cut out the wrong size though, as I'm still having some fitting issues.

 
I wore that by itself for one event, but for the next one I decided it was time to kick it up a notch.
 
The theme for this event was "Scotland" Which is my chosen country. (How cool is that?) 
 
I bought three yards of blue linen for a sideless surcote and drafted it from THIS pattern. (Link lead you to my pinterest feel free to follow)

 
It came together like a dream! Not to mention it looks and feels perfect.

 
 You know you've done well when you can look in the mirror and see (In my case) Maid Marian instead of yourself, which is part of what completes the feeling of being in the SCA.

 
 
I cheated on the veil and ordered it from ebay as I was running out of time and Money. It ended up being a great deal. I ordered cotton for $10, and the lady wrote and said she was out of cotton and would I take a free upgrade to silk? Needless to say I accepted.
 
The sash is simply a plaid scarf I had. I wanted to order my clan Tartan for it, but when I went to order it would have taken several weeks even to ship and wouldn't have made it anywhere near in time.
 
The belt was homemade, but I've had it for years, from my teenage "Fantasy" days.
 
The Sporran (bag) I bought at the local "Scot- Irish" festival a few years ago.
 
I cannot begin to express the feeling I get when I'm with the Society. I always come home feeling refreshed and confident. And I never leave without learning something new.
 
I've never met an unkind person who greets you with anything but a smile, and I always have a fantastic time!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoy the SCA. Our family has been "playing" in the SCA for more than 20 years. You'll find that no matter how much garb you sew, you don't have enough.

    HL Lorraine Devereaux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, I'm already finding that out and am currently planning my next outfit!

      And there are some in my group who have been here just as long. I highly respect them, and I hope I can stay in that long myself! I enjoy it that much!

      What kingdom are you in, if you don't mind my asking? I'm in Meridies myself.

      Delete