Monday, January 2, 2017

A Christmas to Remember

I just so happen to have been excited all year for this Holiday Season, knowing it would be our little one's very first!



I had big plans to deck the halls and trim the tree and make something very special for a certain little boy to cherish.

Sadly very little of that happened.

Unforeseen circumstances meant that Christmas was much quieter and humbler than I had hoped. But wasn't that the way of the very first one? Quiet and humble Our Lord entered this world, and we were the better for celebrating it that way.

Two weeks before the big day, though, I realized my hands were still empty and I had nothing prepared to go under the tree. A desperate search and I found what I had been looking for.

A few clicks and THIS old time teddy bear kit was on its way.

E-bug's favorite movie of all time is the original Disney "Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" so I wanted to make him his own old fashioned "Steiff" style Teddy bear. 

It does go to show that you should always read the fine print. His name is "Tiny Ted" for a reason! lol! He only stands about 8" tall. But for a little boy, a little bear was perfect. This kit came with the pattern and fabric for the bear and the little red felt jacket. It also had a small piece of teddy print cotton to do with as you please. She even traced the teddy bear pieces onto the mohair so all you had to do was cut!

HOWEVER this kit did not come with the eyes or joint components needed to finish it off. And sadly a trip to Hobby Lobby came up short when it came to teddy bear parts. The only things they had were plastic and for much bigger bears!

Not having time to spare to order the parts I decided to improvise. I sewed the arms and legs on sturdily and used one of the bigger joints I had bought for the head. I then embroidered a little face on to him as best I could.
Before I added his face

I'd not like to introduce you to "Theodore Reginald Bear" Or "Teddy Reggie" as we like to call him.

E-bug was not quite sure what to make of him upon opening the box Christmas morning. But he did give Ted a kiss after a moment. (Which was so quick I didn't catch it on camera... :/ )


















He still needs a few things before I feel comfortable giving him to E-bug for keeps, but I think he will make a lovely little companion for our Boy!

All in all I think our baby boy enjoyed Christmas, and now it's time to look forward to a first birthday party! 0_0!!





5 comments:

  1. Well, for what it's worth, I think Sir Theodore is just perfect! You did an outstanding job of improvising to make him a one-of-a-kind companion for your little man to enjoy! KUDOS to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Auntie BarbaraJanuary 2, 2017 at 6:08 PM

    With all of the goings on with the Gatlinburg fires, etc., no wonder you didn't get preparations for EBug's First Christmas underway as soon as you would have liked. Mr. Teddy Reggie was the perfect choice for a little Boy's hands and arms. when you get him as "finished" as necessary, and you turn him over to Edmund's loving care, He will fit perfectly next to, and right into his heart for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the link to the Teddy kit didn't work. :'-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok try this one. https://www.etsy.com/listing/238998199/mohair-teddy-bear-kit-pattern-and?ref=shop_home_active_1

      Delete